Start Date: February 2015
Location: San Francisco, CA
Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national non-profit organization that gives teenagers the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy decisions. We do this by training college students to teach a comprehensive health curriculum in public high schools that lack health education. Since our founding in 2003, we have trained more than 7,500 college student volunteers to deliver effective health education to over 96,000 public high school students in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington, DC. In 2011, we launched a four year Strategic Plan with three major priorities: deepening impact on every teen served, investing in more robust program evaluation, and developing and testing additional methods for impact, all while serving a total of 100,000 teens over these four years.
The primary responsibilities of the HR Generalist will be to lead, implement, and deliver Human Resources strategies, policies, and services for our organization – a dynamic and diverse team. This person will work closely with the Senior Director of Talent to build our high performance culture. This person will also consult with other PHE staff on HR areas including compensation, employee relations, payroll, performance management, 401(k) management, risk management and benefits administration. The HR Generalist reports to the Senior Director of Talent. This is a full-time position with a competitive base salary, 401(k) with company match, company paid holidays, commuter benefits and medical, dental, vision and short-term disability coverage.
- Manage all aspects of employee benefits and compensation
- Oversee Benefits Administration and systems, including planning and collaborating with vendors and brokers to administer services to employees
- Manage and process bi-weekly payroll from start to finish, including earnings adjustments and special deductions, transmit electronic files using ADP, and implement internal controls for accuracy.
- Manage and administer time-off and leaves of absence, including processing leave requests, determining eligibility, and coordinating with all applicable parties to administer FMLA, state mandated leaves, and company specific policies. Partner with Finance as needed.
- Administer benefits on all of the company insurance plans; prepare analyses and conduct audits as needed
- Manage 401(k) plan alongside 401(k) committee and broker
- Lead and execute annual open enrollment cycle
- Lead compensation and benefits benchmarking work
- Answer employees questions regarding benefit plan eligibility, plan provisions and intercede when necessary with benefit providers
- Maintain all benefits documentation (including plan documents, amendments, summary plan descriptions, and 403(b)) and coordinate compliance with other benefit requirements
- Oversee HR Administration and Policies
- Coordinate with risk management broker and federal, state, and local regulatory entities
- Keep abreast of all regulatory compliance for all locations
- Implement employment-policy development and management and update the PHE employee manual
- Map core HR process and recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures for continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- Serve as the point of contact for all staff for employee relations or grievance issues
- Coordinate and manage all HR Administration, including offer letters, offer packages, orientation packages, new hire orientation, termination and COBRA, and electronic and physical personnel file maintenance
- Compliance & Safety
- Manage company compliance with all existing labor, legal and government reporting and posting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, Workers Compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth
- Fulfill scheduled and ad hoc employee data/report requests while ensuring the highest levels of data protection/security
- Support the training of staff and supervisors on compliance issues (sexual harassment, wage and hour, etc.)
- Oversee employee status changes, classifications, and reclassifications, and associated notifications
- Serve as a resource and adviser on talent acquisition, management, and development
- Assist with the communication of HR information and services and serve as a resource to all staff in addressing HR issues
- Responsible for management and accuracy of employee data, ensuring timely reports for payroll processing, state reporting, etc.
- Develop, maintain, and execute on-boarding and exit processes in partnership with other members of the Talent team identifying trends and recommendations to improve retention
- Support the performance management process
- Provide consultation to senior leaders and employees on employee relations issues
- Support the development of job descriptions that are both inspiring and in compliance with applicable laws
- Execute on special projects as needed
The ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate strong passion for PHE’s mission to give teenagers the knowledge and skills needed to make healthy decisions; strong alignment with PHE’s core values of Health, Impact, Communication, Diversity and Agency.
- Demonstrate cultural competence and the ability to translate that competence into all HR practices
- Be a dynamic and open-minded individual who is customer-focused and solutions-driven.
- Have excellent attention to detail, communication, and interpersonal details, as well as a high level of integrity.
- Exercise excellent judgment in decision-making and explain his/her perspective to others.
- Be emotionally mature and self-reliant; thrive working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and growing organization
- Have an ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise discretion in personnel matters at all times
- Have demonstrated expertise in managing projects, balancing multiple commitments, and adapting effectively while ensuring accuracy and timeliness
- Have an ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity, and to negotiate with people having sharply defined opinions while maintaining positive, respectful relationships.
- Be a collaborative team player with a “can do” attitude; willing to roll up sleeves and do whatever it takes to support team priorities
- Be an independent, self-starter who takes the initiative to identify and assist in resolving problems both within and beyond areas of direct responsibility
- Strive to constantly learn, grow, and reflect on their work.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a Human Resource function (with a minimum of 3 years experience as an HR Generalist)
- BS/BA degree in HR Management, Industrial Relations, Organization Development or related discipline
- PHR certification a plus
- Strong analytical skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Strong knowledge and experience in federal and multi-state employment law and compliance practices operations (local, state and federal law)
- Experience in administering leave of absences
- HR systems experience a plus (vacation tracking)
- Experience using ADP PayExpert payroll and ADP 401(k) Retirement products
- Please submit a resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample (your best non-fiction writing, 3 pages or fewer) at www.peerhealthexchange.org/join-us/application. Only candidates who submit all three materials will be considered for the position.
- For more information about Peer Health Exchange, please visit www.peerhealthexchange.org.
PHE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.