Start Date: September 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA
Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national non-profit organization that gives teenagers the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy decisions. We do this by training college students to teach a comprehensive health curriculum in public high schools that lack health education. Since our founding in 2003, we have trained more than 7,500 college student volunteers to deliver effective health education to over 96,000 public high school students in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington, DC. In 2011, we launched a four year Strategic Plan with three major priorities: deepening impact on every teen served, investing in more robust program evaluation, and developing and testing additional methods for impact, all while serving a total of 100,000 teens over these four years.
The primary responsibilities of the HR Generalist will be to lead, implement, and deliver Human Resources strategies, policies, and services for our organization – a dynamic and diverse team. This person will work closely with the Managing Director of Talent to build our high performance culture. This person will also consult with the managers, Finance and VPs on HR areas including compensation, employee relations, payroll, performance management, 401(k) management, risk management and benefits administration. The HR Generalist reports to the Managing Director of Talent. This is a full-time position with a competitive base salary, 401(k) with company match, company paid holidays, commuter benefits and medical, dental, vision and short-term disability coverage.
- Manage all aspects of employee benefits and compensation
- Manage and process bi-weekly payroll
- Manage and administer leaves of absence
- Manage 401(k) plan alongside 401(k) committee and broker
- Administer benefits on all of the company insurance plans
- Lead and execute open enrollment cycle
- Lead compensation and benefits benchmarking work
- Oversee HR administration and policies
- Coordinate with risk management broker
- Keep abreast of all regulatory compliance for all locations
- Coordinate all HR administration,
- Develop and maintain the PHE employee manual and any other related policies
- Serve as the point of contact for all staff for employee relation or grievance issues
- Serve as a resource and adviser on talent acquisition, management, and development
- Serve as a resource to all staff in addressing HR issues
- Develop and maintain on-boarding and termination processes in partnership with other members of the talent team
- Support the performance management process
- Provide consultation to senior leaders and employees on employee relations issues
- Support the development of job descriptions that are both inspiring and in compliance with applicable laws
- Execute on special projects as needed
The ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate strong passion for PHE’s mission to give teenagers the knowledge and skills needed to make healthy decisions; strong alignment with PHE’s core values of Health, Impact, Communication, Diversity and Agency.
- Demonstrate cultural competence and the ability to translate that competence into all HR practices
- Be a dynamic and open-minded individual who is customer-focused and solutions-driven.
- Have excellent attention to detail, communication, and interpersonal details, as well as a high level of integrity.
- Exercise excellent judgment in decision-making and explain his/her perspective to others.
- Be emotionally mature and self-reliant; thrive working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and growing organization
- Have an ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity, and to negotiate with people having sharply defined opinions while maintaining positive, respectful relationships.
- Strive to constantly learn, grow, and reflect on their work.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a Human Resource function (with a minimum of 3 years experience as an HR Generalist)
- BS/BA degree in HR Management, Industrial Relations, Organization Development or related discipline
- PHR certification a plus
- Strong analytical skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge and experience in multi-state operations (local, state and federal law)
- Experience in administering leave of absences
- HR systems experience a plus (vacation tracking)
- Experience using ADP PayExpert payroll and ADP 401(k) Retirement products
- Please submit a resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample (your best non-fiction writing, 3 pages or fewer) at www.peerhealthexchange.org/join-us/application. Only candidates who submit all three materials will be considered for the position.
- For more information about Peer Health Exchange, please visit www.peerhealthexchange.org.
PHE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.