Our program’s reach and positive impact on the lives of young people would not be possible without the hard work, passion and dedication of our talented team. It’s our people-power that makes Peer Health Exchange a unique and amazing place to work. In this ‘Day in the Life’ series, we shine the spotlight on one employee at a time—providing just a snapshot of what they do—over the course of a typical day.
Your Name: Savannah Sharp
Your Job Title: Associate, Program Design and Development (National)
In your own words, describe what you do in one sentence: I aid the national program team in designing and developing materials needed to run programs, such as the workshop curriculum and volunteer
Your direct manager’s title: Director, Program Design and Development
- 10:00 AM: I started off this Thursday joining the New York City team meeting
.WhileI technically work for the National Program Team, I’m also part of Team Exchange .Thisis representative of both the exchange of ideas happening between local and national teams, as well as being located on ExchangePlace!Getting to share roses and thorns (high/lowlights of your week) with the larger Team Exchange is something of a weekly bonding experience to look forward to.
- 12:00 PM: Here is the typical dual monitor setup that you’ll see all over our offices. Peer Health Exchange’s tech team has been wonderful about prioritizing staff’s needs to get our work done, in the best way possible. In this case, it means having my calendar up on one side so that I can be finding workshops to go observe on the other! Observing workshops is my favorite part of the job –it keeps me motivated and focused on why all of our hard work is important. (Also an NYC subway map so I can pre-plan commute times and the puzzle that is the MTA.)
- 2:00 PM: Meet my lovely physical therapist, Rachelle, who works for SPEAR physical therapy (quick plug because they’re wonderful).It’s located right across the street from the NYC office, so once a week I get to pop over and have her help keep me walking. One of Peer Health Exchange’s core values is “Health” and we are often encouraged to take the time we need to make sure we’re in tip-top shape to work.
- 4:00 PM: My team meeting! You’ll see it’s a video call because all of my teammates are located across the country. We have reps in LA, San Francisco (Bay Area), DC, and Boston. Once a week, we all gather for an hour and a half to debrief and plan for the week ahead. (I jumped out of the office early to avoid a snowy commute home and my dog, Jameson, was thrilled to be the meeting mascot.)
- 6:00 PM: *BONUS ROUND* Aside from hanging with my dog, my favorite way to de-stress is throwing around some clay on a pottery wheel.E very week I take a class at the YMCA (which offers financial assistance for arts programs, check them out!) where we learn how to throw mugs, vases, goblets, toothbrush holders, you name it. Here you can see me working on what will eventually be a mug for my Peer Health Exchange-inspired line of dishware for co-worker holiday gifts.