PHE recently invested in an external evaluation conducted by the American Institutes for Research (AIR) to learn what works and doesn’t work in our model. The study included 4,000 students, comparing those who received PHE to those who did not.
We found that our program has a statistically significant positive effect on sexual and mental knowledge, skills, and help-seeking behavior.
PHE students were more likely to:
- A. Visit a health center
- B. Know how to access contraceptives, and show greater intentions to use them in the future
- C. Accurately define what constitutes consent in a sexual situation
- D. Identify the warning signs of poor mental health
Through surveys, we have also found that:
- 97% of high school principals who participated in the program said they would recommend the program to other schools.
- 93% of PHE volunteers said they would recommend PHE to other college students.