Effective May 2021
TL/DR? These are the key facts:
- You can always:
- ask us for a copy of the information we have about you
- ask us to update the information we have about you
- ask us to delete the information we have about you
- We will always:
- follow the law on how we can keep and use the information we have about you
- make sure our policies are the best they can be
- We will never:
- give the information we have about you to anyone else, unless…
- …you tell us we can
- …we think that doing so will protect you from harm
- …the law says we have to (e.g., to prevent a crime)
- tell people about our work with you in a way that you can be identified, unless you have told us we can use the information you have given us to sell you anything, unless you have told us we can
- give the information we have about you to anyone else, unless…
* * * *
Peer Health Exchange (“PHE,” “we,” “us” or “our”) is committed to respecting the privacy and protecting the personal information of all users (“users,” “you” or “your”), and to making your experience with PHE’s website, mobile application, products and services as safe and secure as possible. Before using or accessing http://peerhealthexchange.org; http://selfsea.org; selfsea powered by Peer Health Exchange; and any and all platforms and other Internet-related, text-based or in-person services operated by PHE (the “Services”), please read the following.
- How, and under what circumstances, we will collect Personally Identifiable Information from you, our users, via the Services;
- How and why we may use and disclose your Personally Identifiable Information;
- Your rights to the Personally Identifiable Information we collect through the Services;
- Your options to edit or delete your Personally Identifiable Information, to withdraw your consent from our use of your Personally Identifiable Information, or to opt-out of the collection of certain kinds of information gathered through our Services.
[For users from the European Union, please the section titled “International Users” below.]
We hope that knowing how and why we use data will help you make an informed choice about using the Services.
Types of Personal Information We Collect
You can always decline to provide Personal Information to us—it is your choice, and you are under no obligation to provide Personal Information to us. However, if you decide not to provide such information, then you may not be able to access or use certain Services, or request or access certain information or materials from PHE.
In general, we may use the information collected to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the Services, to help us understand who uses the Services, for internal operations such as operating and improving the Services, and to contact you for survey, account retrieval, and follow-up purposes. We may also collect Personal Information that you submit to us voluntarily when you correspond with us or interact with the Services. We may combine your Personal Information with information we receive offline, such as when you interact with PHE personnel. Please be aware that any Personal Information you provide to other users during your use of the Services can be collected, used, maintained, shared, or disclosed by those users, and we are not responsible for the collection, use, maintenance, sharing, or disclosure of data and information by such users.
How We Collect Personal Information
We may collect Personal Information from you at various places and through various mechanisms through your use of the Services. This is Personal Information that you voluntarily enter including, without limitation, when you register for email communications or when you submit a survey response, question or request in connection with your use of the Services, or when you post to any interactive forum or other feature that we may make available to you through our Services. You should exercise caution when deciding to disclose Personal Information in connection with any of these features.
How We Use Personal Information
In general, we may use your Personal Information to:
- Administer your account and verify your identity;
- Provide you with the Services and customer support;
- Tailor the features, performance, and support of the Services to you;
- Respond to your requests, resolve disputes, and/or troubleshoot problems;
- Improve the quality of the Services;
- Detect security incidents and to protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity;
- Comply with U.S., state, local and non-U.S. laws, rules and regulations;
- Communicate with you about the Services; and
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
With Whom We Share Personal Information
We Do Not Sell Your Personal Information
We, also, will not sell and have not sold within the past 12 months your Personal Information without affirmative authorization.
California Shine the Light
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine The Light” law, permits California residents to annually request, free of charge, information about the Personal Information (if any) disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
Certain mechanisms may allow you to send web browser signals, known as “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) signals, indicating your choice to disable tracking on the website. We do not respond to browser DNT signals at this time. More information about “do not track” is available at www.allaboutdnt.org.
Our Services are not directed to children and are intended for persons 13 years of age and older. PHE does not knowingly nor willingly collect, retain, use or disclose any information or documents from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not use this Site and/or Services and do not provide us any Personal Information. If we learn that Personal Information of persons younger than 13 years of age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Information in connection with our Services without your consent, please contact us at Phefirstname.lastname@example.org so that we may take appropriate actions to remove the Personal Information of the minor under 13 years from our systems.
We exercise reasonable security measures to help protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of your Personal Information. PHE hosts its Services (as applicable) and the collected data in a secure environment that uses reasonable technology to help prevent interference or access from unauthorized persons. PHE provides limited access to its database, and its database may only be accessed by authorized personnel. All data is de-identified in PHE’s database. Furthermore, all connections to PHE’s mobile application and to PHE’s database will be encrypted via SSL. User authentication will be handled by Firebase Authentication, which leverages industry standards like OAuth 2.0 and OpenID Connect, to handle user authentication. Finally, developers will supply us an inventory of data collected. This will allow us to know what data will be stored and ensure we are only collecting necessary information.
Despite all of the above efforts, however, please note that no company, including PHE, can fully eliminate risks or guarantee the security of your Personal Information; unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of information about you at any time. For this reason, we do not guarantee the security of any information you provide to PHE through the Services.
The Services are operated in the State of California in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide will be collected in or transferred to the United States. By using the Services and/or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection and transfer of your information in or out of the United States as described in this policy.
How to Update Your Information
You may request to update, or ask that we delete, any Personal Information that we have collected from you or that you have provided to us by contacting us using any of the methods set forth in the Contact Information section below.
If you have questions regarding our processing of your Personal Information, or have a complaint, please submit or have your authorized representative submit a request using any of the methods set forth below.
Call our National Office at the following number: (415) 684-1240
Submit a request online using the following online form: https://www.peerhealthexchange.org/about-us/contact-us